Who said waffle irons are just for waffles? I found this recipe in a magazine a long time ago and finally tried it out, reducing the amount of chocolate chips slightly (otherwise there is not enough dough to hold them all together!)
The waffle iron makes funky cookies, crisp on the outside yet moist and soft on the inside.
Heat waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk together until smooth:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
Coat waffle iron with cooking spray. Spoon about one tablespoon of batter onto each waffle section/square.
Close the iron and cook until the cookies begin to brown, about 1-3 minutes.
Transfer cookies to a wire rack and repeat with the remaining dough.