Popovers, muffins, puddings….whatever you want to call them. They make a great breakfast food, or appetizer before dinner. It’s very easy to make these light and airy popovers, and they go well with jams or apple butter.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups milk (skim or 1%)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 strips turkey bacon (or your favourite kind of bacon :)
- 1 large apple (I used Granny Smith)
- cooking spray
- apple butter (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites until well blended. Whisk in milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk together. Let stand about 30 minutes.
- While batter is standing, preheat oven to 450 F.
- Cook bacon strips. Then drain, let cool, and finely chop.
- Finely dice the apple, including peel.
- Coat muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Fold bacon, apple, and butter into the batter. Stir well until blended.
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Bake at 450 F for 18 minutes. Then reduce heat to 325 F and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve right away, with apple butter (optional).
Makes about 18 regular-sized “muffins” (or a whole bunch of mini muffins)